Grand Forks Public continues to monitor the recommendations and guidelines of government and public health officials regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure safe operations, we are taking a phased approach to resume services.
Grand Forks Public is excited to offer Curbside Pickup services. This new offering keeps our community safe and socially distanced, while providing access to the library’s large collection of materials.
Hours of Curbside Pickup operations are:
- Mon-Thurs: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Fri-Sat: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sun: None
The library now has open hours (no appointment required) the following days:
- Mon-Thurs: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Fri-Sat: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sun: 1-5 p.m.
How Curbside Works
You may place items on hold through our website, which is the preferred method. If you need assistance placing holds, you can call 701-772-8116. If the line is busy when you call, please leave a message with your name and phone number, and we will call you back to gather your hold requests. There will be a limit of 5 holds per library card. Once you receive a hold confirmation letter via email or mail, you can pick up your available items on the next curbside pickup day. Pickup details will be included in the hold letter.
Please park in a curbside pickup spot designated by colorful flags, open your trunk, then call the library with your name and parking spot color. A library worker will bring your holds and place them in your trunk.
- Place your hold. Wait for your hold letter to arrive via email or mail.
- If you do not have a mobile phone, call before you leave home.
- If you do have a mobile phone, drive to the library during curbside pickup times.
- Park by a colorful flag near the front door.
- Give us a call: 701-772-8116. Staff will ask which flag you are parked at and verify your account. (If you are picking up an item, do not leave a message.)
- Open your trunk. Then wait in the vehicle.
- If you need to step outside to close your trunk, wait until staff is at least six feet away before exiting your vehicle.
- Return any old materials to the drive-up book drop. Do not hand these materials to staff.
- Enjoy your new materials!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I place a hold?
Visit our online catalog or, if you need assistance, call 701-772-8116. If calling after hours or staff are not available, you can leave a message with your name and contact information and we will call you back as soon as possible for your holds list.
How many holds can I place?
You can place 5 holds per library card. Regular account limits still apply.
Where do I park when I get there?
Park at one of the colorful Curbside Pickup flags, located along the sidewalk near the front door of the library.
How soon will my books be ready?
Holds placed on one day will be available for pickup on the NEXT Curbside Pickup day. Please wait to pick up your materials until you have received your hold confirmation letter via email or mail.
If my holds appear to be ready, can I pick them up?
Please wait until you receive your hold confirmation letter via email or mail. This will ensure your items are truly ready for pick-up.
Can someone else pick up my holds for me, such as a spouse, relative, neighbor, etc.?
Yes, someone else can retrieve your items. However, we will ask them to confirm some identifying information to ensure we have the correct person.
What should I do with my hotspot?
Please return hotspots to the book drops as well, packaged in their protective casing.
What about due dates?
Regular due dates will apply, and you will have the option to renew materials.
What if I don’t have a vehicle?
If you do not have a vehicle and plan to walk up for Curbside:
- Call 701-772-8116 when you arrive and stand by the bike rack near the front door.
- We will set your bag on the ground six feet away.
(If you do not have a cell phone, please call before you arrive so we know to expect you).
What if I don’t have a mobile phone?
If you do not have a mobile phone, please call from your landline as you leave your home and let us know how far away you are.
Can I return books? How?
Book drops are open 24/7 in the following locations:
- In front of the library
- Choice Health & Fitness
- Thompson Public School
In the event of bad weather, will Curbside Pickup be available?
We will monitor the weather as we offer Curbside Pickup services. In the event of severe or dangerous weather conditions, including lightning, heavy rain, wind, thunderstorm, blizzard, etc., we will postpone Curbside operations for the safety of our staff and patrons. Changes will be posted to our website homepage and on social media.
We have a four-phased plan for safely reopening. As we move through the phases, details will be posted on our website and Facebook page. Our top priority is keeping our community safe. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.
Services Available Now:
- Open hours
- Curbside Pickup
- Outdoor storytimes
- Outdoor Wi-Fi near the library
- eBooks, audiobooks, and other online resources
- Virtual programming on Facebook and select virtual book clubs
- Online library card requests
- Interlibrary loans
- Browsing the shelves
- Computer use, including printing, copying, faxing, scanning, etc.
Additional Services Coming at a Later Date:
- Reserving meeting room
- Indoor storytimes and programs
- Library staff and patrons are encouraged to wear masks.
- Staff will wear gloves when handling returned materials.
- Frequent handwashing and disinfecting, as well as staff and patron social distancing, will be ongoing.
- Please use proper hand hygiene after returning items to the book drops.