1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Welcome to the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brainpower? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
The Grand Forks Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Pick Up Materials: Pick up reading records at Grand Forks Public via Curbside Pickup.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a symbol on the reading record for each book you read with your child.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in virtual storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, contact the Children’s Department by phone at 701-772-8116 ext. 13 or by email at email@example.com to receive a sticker via Curbside Pickup. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Contact us by phone at 701-772-8116 ext. 13 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your child’s name placed on the 1,000-Book Wall of Fame and receive your medal and free book via Curbside Pickup.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000. Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Grand Forks Public Library’s Facebook page often for virtual programs that are fun and educational for your little one. Visit our online catalog to find great books to pick up and share with your child. One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than three years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten.